Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Final Version to Chaos at the Lavender Room

Shortly after the three girls left the Lavender Room and Holden was left by him self…

Holden train of thought: Gees, what a waste of a night . . . Though, at least that blonde was a good dancer.

Waiter: Can I get you anything else?

Holden: Yeah, how about that Scotch and soda I asked for before?

Waiter: Like I've already said sir, I need some verification of your age first.

Holden: Come now. The joint is going to close soon, and I'll be ought 'a the way and in my room where no one can see me. Just one?

Waiter: Rules are rules. I'm sorry sir. I just can't do that.

Holden: What'll be the harm of a little Scotch?

Waiter: I'll be breaking the law by giving alcohol to a minor. And I'll lose my job.

Holden: Oh, come on. Look at this place, Sits back in his chair and motions to the room. The
only ones left here are a bunch of drunks. Trust me on this; none of them would even remember where they were all night when morning comes around. No one will be saying anything.

Waiter: Even if that is the case, I can't do it.

Holden sighs.

Holden: How about we cut a deal? He takes five dollars out of his wallet Lets just say you happened to find this on the floor by the table and I get to go back to my room not as sober as I was when I first got here.

Waiter stares at the bill.

Waiter: Another Coke for you sir?

Holden: Sure, why not.

Waiter arrives with drink and takes the bill from Holden.

Waiter: You didn't want them mixed am I correct sir?

Holden smirks.

Holden: That’s right.

Forty-five minutes pass and Holden's ordered three more drinks.

Holden: Boy, this sure hits the spot. Yup. . . it really does. . . hits the spot.

Holden takes a big sigh.

Holden train of though: Man, what's come over me? Oh yeah, now I remember, Allie. He's been on my mind a lot recently, and even more so now that I'm alone. I thought that maybe a drink or two would've eased my mind a bit. Guess I was too hopeful.

Holden: Allie sure was a character; he really did kill me. . . But why'd he have to be the one to go? It just ain't fair.

As the band finally begins to pack up Holden watches quietly from his table in the corner.

Holden: It's about time. . .What a bunch of phonies.

Holden call the waiter for his check

Waiter: Are you sure you wouldn't like one more?

Holden: Yeah I'm sure. Holden mumbles. It's not like it would make me any different from the last four anyways.

Holden pull out his wallet and pays for his drinks.

Holden mumbles again: Have you ever wanted to trade places with someone before? I mean have you ever felt like it would be better if someone else was here and you weren't? Like you're just not good enough? . . .That kid sure did kill me.

Waiter: Hmmm? My apologies but what did you say sir? I'm afraid I didn't quiet catch what you just said.

Holden: It doesn't matter, I was just thinking out loud. I couldn't remember where I had placed my room key. But looks like its just in my pants pocket.

Holden pats a pocket.

Waiter: Oh, I see. Well now, be careful on your way back to your room sir.

Holden: Yeah. . .Yeah.

Holden stumbles out of the Lavender room and up the staircase. However, as soon as no one is around he begins to walk normally again and continues to walk to his room.
----------------------------------------------------------------

Analysis:
In the book The Catcher in the Rye, Holden often goes off into long rants that tend too stray from the main point but tie into his original point at the very end. As an attempt to mimic this style my story left out main points as to why Holden would act so different from his normal character until the end when you find that he acted the way he did to try and feel better. Normally Holden is never that persistent with something like this a gives up.
I also tried to show another possible side to Holden that is rarely seen. However, he showed his soft side when Allie died and he became very distraught and emotional. That night he broke all the glass in his garage and hurt his hand badly. That point was what I was trying to recreate. That emotional side that we hardly see, and the side that wishes he could do something about Allies death.
Holden also keeps his feelings to himself and so it would take a certain stimulate or type of person to make Holden open up. To make it seem more plausible that he would act that way he got himself drunk, or at least to a point where he could act drunk and contemplate more about Allie with a better excuse.
In chapter 8 Holden says that he's the best liar and that he could make up lies to people in an instant and they would be very believable too. To cover up what he had mumbled I pictured that he would probably make up a story about misplacing his keys because he is "drunk" at the time and people often don't remember what they have put their things when they are impaired.
Holden always talks about how everyone else is a phony, however in the book he is very hypocritical about this point. He often lies and acts differently around certain people. By deceiving others he is being phony. The fact that he began to walk normally when no one was watching is something that Holden would do because it fit to what people would first think someone would be like after having a few drinks. This is also like Holden because he mentions more than once in previous chapters that he can act very suave during dates, on the phone, or when he talks to someone that he finds attractive. His normal attitude also seems to be an act. When thinking of these reasons it is very believable that Holden is capable of doing something like that.

5 comments:

Alda said...

i like how you made your story a script for a play. it was creative. good job. :]

ipo:) said...

i liked the style you used for your piece- it made it easy adn fun to read. i thought it was very interesting. it really sounded like holden-- the part where he says, "Have you ever wanted to trade places with someone before? I mean have you ever felt like it would be better if someone else was here and you weren't? Like you're just not good enough? . . .That kid sure did kill me."
- good job.

Audrey said...

Hey Analia! Your story was great! I t really sounded like holden (like his choice of language). I could also imagine this being part of the book, like one of the chapters. GOOD JOB!!!!!

lincoln said...

i liked how holden interacted with other people in the story. i thought that holden was his true self in this story. good job

erin wong said...

Your paper was easy to read mainly because it was like a script for a play. Also, i like how you changed it up and the bartender did give him the drinks and how he kind of thinks that allie should be living instead of him... or something like that. That's kind of like how he thinks because he was hurt so bad by the death. Nice job.